How to Clean Sunbrella Fabric
“Anything but white!” – a common reply that we hear in the store when asking what color fabric choice our clients want for their outdoor furniture. Sure, a red wine spill on a brand new white cushion is often grounds for a panic attack. But if it’s Sunbrella, you can rest assured that any stain is sure to come out of any color choice (yes, including white!) with a few easy cleaning instructions.
Sunbrella Fabric is stain, fade, mold, mildew, water, UV resistant. The root of these super powers? The yarn is “solution-dyed”, meaning the pigment is layered through while the fabric is being manufactured, so the color is extremely fade resistant. Kind of like when you peel a carrot- the color is there right to its core.
- For general, day-to-day maintenance of your Sunbrella fabric, you can rely on these easy steps:
- Brush off loose dirt.
- Spray on a cleaning solution of water and mild soap.
- Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
- Allow cleaning solution to soak into the fabric.
- Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
- Air dry.
If dirt is not removed from the fabric, it is possible for mold/ mildew to grow on Sunbrella fabric over time. To clean mold and mildew:
- Prepare a solution of 1 cup bleach and one fourth cup of mild soap per gallon of water.
- Spray on entire area and allow to soak into the fabric for 15 minutes.
- Clean entire surface area with a sponge, clean towel or very soft bristle brush.
- Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
- Let air dry.
- BLOT, don’t rub.
- Don’t not use any harsh cleaning tools- a soft bristle brush is best.
- Clean the entire surface area of the fabric- this will avoid water rings and stains.
- Protect the area around you when using bleach and other cleaning chemicals.
- Always air dry.
Some stains are unique and require a bit of extra love. In these instances, you can type any stain Sunbrella’s stain removal search bar on their website and receive specific instructions on how to remove that stain: https://www.sunbrella.com/en-us/how-to-clean
With all this in mind, your fabric choice doesn’t have the be as grey as the skies in Vancouver. Freely choose whatever Sunbrella fabric shouts YOU- it’s your garden party after all!